Email Marketing – Stats Glorious Stats
With growing amounts of data being stored and collated, sometimes business seems more about numbers and stats than guile and intuition!
Well maybe that’s not quite the case and we all know these numbers can be helpful, so with that in mind below is a compilation of email stats garnered from various sources.
At the very least it might provide a mild antidote to the monotony of your day or better yet you may even pick up 1 or 2 key points that’ll help for your next email marketing campaign:
Email Marketing Stats:
1. 54% of emails are opened on a mobile phone or tablet (Experian)
2. Personalised emails improve click-through rates by 14%, and conversion rates by 10%. (Aberdeen Group)
3. Personalised emails including the recipient’s first name in the subject line have higher open rates than those without (Retention Science)
4. 33% of email recipients open emails based on subject line alone. (Convince and Convert)
5. Subject lines that create a sense of urgency and exclusivity can give a 22% higher open rate. (Email Institute)
6. Unsubscribe rates average between 0.2% and 0.23% across all company sizes (MailChimp)
7. The open rate while varying across different industries averages 25% (Experian)
8. 69% of email recipients report email as spam based solely on the subject line (Convince & Convert)
9. “newsletter” used in the subject line has decreased open rates of 18.7% than those without. (Adestra)
10. Emails with “Quick” in the subject line were opened 17% less than those without. (HubSpot)
11. Emails with no subject all together were opened 8% more than those with a subject line. (Hubspot)
12. Subject lines with more than 3 or more words are opened 15% less than those with 1 -2 (ContactMonkey)
13. Subject lines with 30 or fewer characters have an above average open rate (ContactMonkey)
So what can you take away from this?
When doing email marketing, there’s some key takeaways to consider for your campaign:
- Make sure your designing for mobile devices
- Think about your subject line – it’s important!
- Personalise your email
Of course this is only part of the equation to successful email marketing but more on that another time…